Two wings lift a person up from earthy concerns: simplicity and purity. Simplicity should be in intention, purity in feelings. Simplicity reaches out after God, purity catches hold and tastes. ~ Thomas A’Kempis

Thursday 8 June 2017

All the Comforts of Home

Hello :)
Home - isn't that the loveliest word...I always remember that line from The Wizard of Oz,  where Dorothy is waking up from her dream state and saying out loud : "There's no place like home, there's no place like home "...and its so true. The older I get the more I appreciate and love being at home. In my younger years I had a bit of wanderlust and desire to see the world (which I did, the parts I wanted to see that is :), but now there is nothing I love more than cooking dinner, knowing my husband will come home and enjoy it with me, in our clean, quiet, humble home. Home for me is a place of contentment..and where I choose to use my gifts of creativity. That may be in cooking, gardening, or craft. It's never a drudge to me, rather I find it a joy.
I've just spent an hour or so writing out..well copy and paste more like and then printing out bread recipes. Periodically I go through a season where I want to make bread and experience the wonderful aroma as it bakes. I watched this video below on youtube and was even more inspired, even though I'm not really a white bread gal.



One of the main reasons I wanted to get back into bread making, was because
1. Its more nutritious and you can add whatever you want to in it.
2. It seems to be better for my whole digestive system and body in general. No more upset tummy, like I get when I eat regular bread from the supermarket. 
3. It's cheaper :) and puts the most wonderful, earthy, homely aroma into the atmosphere.
Anyway...
This week I've mostly been making bread in the bread maker as I havn't been feeling the best, some sort of Winter virus thing...sigh. So far  I've made Oatmeal/Milk & Honey bread, which was very delicious and wholemeal/seed bread - with a mix of seeds: linseed, chia, sunflower& pumpkin. I also occasionally add in some ground cornmeal and Barley, which I grind with this little guy: My Snitzer Pico electric Grain Grinder. Its the smallest model, but adequate for our needs.

Another bread I often make is 'Crunchy Bread'..full of lots of seeds too. As soon as this bread is baked and cold, I slice it thick and freeze it, as it makes the most wonderful filling morning toast. But often I'll sneak a quick slice, with a little butter and peanut butter or Marmite (Our Mate) !!

such fun adding in all that nutritiousness. 


One of my latest online purchases via another blogger https://www.nourishingdays.com/
is a foodie book all about fermentation.
This is the family from Nourishing Days Blog (No, they're not Amish).
and this is Shannon's Book: Traditionally Fermented Foods
and I have to say, it is the most well written, thoroughly researched book I have ever read on this subject. I am yet to start making her sourdough recipe. It takes a week to make the Sourdough Starter, so quite the process initially and I have to be fully up to speed to start something new. If I get around to it, I'll post some pics as an update to this bready post. Well that's all for now. If anyone reads this and is also enjoys bread making I would love to hear what you bake. 
Blessings and Love 
~ Linda ~
(comments are welcome)




2 comments:

  1. Hi Linda, All Your breads sound delicious!! I love the smell of breads that are baking it's just a comforting aroma! I agree with you about wanting to stay close to home and not be out and about like I use to when I was younger! I love being home! I have been buying spelt bread and really not eating as much bread as we use to! I do make little muffins from all sorts of good things, and I freeze them. I must experment with spelt and try my hand at making some bread. And fermented foods and sprouted is much healthier! I do hope you start feel better soon! Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Roxy for your kind words, I aren't feeling any better as yet, and may need to whip out my herbal remedies to try and knock it on the head !!. And I must say It's just so encouraging when people take the time to comment :) Regarding the bread, I've made spelt bread years ago, but its quite a lot more expensive to buy that flour in New Zealand. I'm interested in ancient grains and trying all sorts of grains in general. A blog I follow has some great tutorials for learning to bake bread: http://down---to---earth.blogspot.co.nz/2015/08/our-daily-bread.html This is a wonderful, very charming blog, which I have spent a lot of time at over the years. If your interested, be sure to check it out. She has a nice way about her. I did have her blog in my side bar, but it seems to have dissapeared? Oh well, I'll re-add it. Blessings to you Roxy, was lovely to hear from you :)

      Delete

Strangers and Pilgrims

  Hello dear friends and quiet followers, I hope your week is going well? It's Winter here in my corner of the world, so I am tucked up ...